Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thanksgiving with a side of kimchi

This weekend is thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  It is the time when families come together to be with loved ones and give thanks for what they have; to say what they are most grateful for in their lives.

In the last 6 months that I've been away from home, I have come to appreciate all of this so much more.  So please let me share with you what it is that I am most grateful and thankful for in my life.

I am grateful to have had had this once in a life time opportunity of living in a different culture; in a different world.  While the experience did not end in the way that I thought it would, I am nevertheless immensely thankful that I've done it.  I finally feel ready to move onto the next stage of my life without a feeling of regret...that wonder of "what if?".

I am thankful for having met the many wonderful people I did while I was here.  There have been so many (both foreign and Korean) that I have had the privilege of getting to know.   I would not have lasted a month in this place without them, and so I thank them for their support and encouragement through my darkest days, and for sharing their smiles with me on the happier ones too.

I am thankful for my even stronger support network of family and friends back home.  I can only imagine how hard it has been for you to have me be so far from you when many of you know how sad I have been here.  Your continued love and support means so much to me.  When I was terrified to leave early, you were all there, ready to support me and encourage me and remind me that by following my heart, I will never be led astray.

Finally, I am so grateful for having an amazing man in my life and always in my corner.  Throughout my experience here in Korea (and even in the preparation for it), has been nothing but supportive and encouraging.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the shoe were on the other foot, I'm not sure I could have been as strong and as solid as he has proven himself to be.  He's put up with more craziness than I care to admit, and yet still hasn't gone running for the hills.  If anything, my time here has made me realize what a "great catch" he really is, and gives me confidence that we will be able to work through life's problems together.

So to my friends and family back home, and indeed to all Canadians, I hope you have a very happy thanksgiving, and eat a little bit more than you probably should!

*Gobble gobble gobble*

No comments:

Post a Comment