Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Learning how to teach is dangerous

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I am currently at teacher orientation in Seoul.  It's meant for all of the teachers who are part of EPIK (English Program In Korea) from across the country.  It's been a great way to get to know people and make new friends to visit in the coming year.

First and foremost, it's been a really great way to learn how to teach ESL.  Each day, we've had great lectures on everything from how to plan a lesson, to how to work with co-teachers, to how to do a great power point presentation & game.  I've found it all immensely interesting and informative.  (I certainly hope that I feel the same way in the coming weeks!)  Some teachers at the orientation have already been here teaching in their schools for a few weeks, but for whatever reason or another were only able to do the orientation now.  That means they went into their teaching jobs without any formal instruction from the Korean government. It's all sink or swim.  I feel grateful that I am not in their shoes.

But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and so our long days of lectures are sporadically mixed with a bit of fun.  We got to watch a group of professional taekwondo-ers do some pretty amazing jumps, kicks and board breaks.  On tuesday, we got to try our hand at the same thing, although to a far less spectacular fashion.

Kaaahhhhh!!
I even did something I never in my life thought I'd be able to do.  I broke a wooden board.  Yes, a real, solid  wooden board.  What's that you say? Pics or it didn't happen?

Post-break!
We had to write down our wish for our time in Korea on our boards.  If we broke it, our wish would be granted.  I cut mine straight down the middle.  BAM!  I still might not be a black belt, but I think this officially makes me some one not to mess with! ;-)

***As a side note to Dan, Taekwondo means: "Tae" bottom half (kicking, jumping, running), "Kwon" top half (punching, striking), "do" philosophy of martial arts, a balance.  Homework complete!***

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Great attitude. So glad you like what you're learning!

    ReplyDelete